Worship In The Spirit.
Text: Philippians 3:1 - 3 "Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. (2.) Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. (3.) For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh."
Introduction: The church at
I. Our first point is found in verse 1 "Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord..."
A. To rejoice in the Lord is to be happy in the Lord. It is only in the Lord one can be happy.
B. The Psalmist wrote in Psalms 5:11 "But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee."
C. Rejoicing in the Lord is to rejoice in what He has done in you, by quickening your heart, entering you, and opening the salvation door to you, and giving you salvation.
D. It is also the calling to a church, a pacific work in the church, and for seeing you successful.
E. It is also keeping you in your salvation, never leaving you, and seeing you through to death and glorification at His return.
F. It is also the fellowship in the Spirit as Gods Sprit and our spirit fellowship everyday. This is the reason we have to, not only to rejoice. but to rejoice in the Lord.
G. Mary said for God choosing her to be the mother of Jesus Christ, Luke 1:47 "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."
H. Our fellowship and worship of God is spiritual and not outwardly. Only if our hearts are in joy can we have a loving and rejoicing fellowship with God.
II. Paul's warning to this church, and ours. "...To write the same things to you..." V.1
A. The things Paul preached and wrote were spiritual, they were not his writing or teachings, everything was by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
B. Therefore Paul concluded "... to me indeed is not grievous..."
1) These teachings are not slothful or troublesome. Preachers would do good to listen to Paul.
2) Peter said in 2 Peter 1:12 - 15 "Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. (13.) Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; (14.) Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. (15.) Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance."
C. It is not hurtful to preach about the sovereignty of God, It is not hurtful to be spiritually happy and not outward happy. It is not hurtful to depend on God and not ourselves, because we can do nothing. Therefore Paul concludes in verse 2 "Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision." - Beware of them who change the truth in to a lie and worship the creature over the Creator.
III. Paul concludes in verse 3 " For we are the circumcision..."
A. Not that we have been circumcised, but that we are the circumcision in Christ.
1) Paul describes true Christians, who are indeed the circumcision, the spiritual circumcision.
2) We are the ones who have had the flesh cut way and are now spiritual worshipers.
3) We are the circumcision, who worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4) Paul described it this way in Colossians 2:11 "In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:"
5) Moses said it this way in Deuteronomy 30:6 "And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live."
B. And it is these people that "...worship God in the spirit..." V. 3
1) True worship is not an outward show of worship, but rather a fellowship between your spirit and the Holy Spirit.
2) Paul said it must be spiritual because we have "...no confidence in the flesh..." V. 3
3) Paul said I trusted in the flesh and I was wrong. Philippians 3:4 - 7 "Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: (5.) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; (6.) Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (7.) But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ."
A. We have one verse for conclusion, John 4:24 "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."