Ephesians 1:3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”
This morning we want to take a look at two words, “in Christ”. These two words carries the most powerful definition of any two words put together in all eternity. Paul wrote in verse 3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…” While God is the Father of the man Christ Jesus, He is also our Father in Christ. In Christ we have received and will continue to receive “all spiritual blessings”. Now to be honest with you I do not know what all these “spiritual blessings” are, but I can assure you, we receive them only in Christ. We do know this, that some of those blessings are the fruits of the Spirit like love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Galatians 5:22 – 23 these are not the same as the natural man has, because these are Spiritual Blessings that are a gift from God to those that are in Christ. Let’s look at some more Spiritual Blessings, how about our Pardon – we have been pardoned from all our sins against God only in Christ, it is in Christ that we have peace with God, In Christ we have redemption this means to be released form the powers of Satan and sin only in Christ paying a ransom price, and our last of more examples than we possibly could use is adoption, adoption is also spiritual because it is being a child of God only in Christ. We will see if we sit and meditate on the subject that the Spiritual Blessing here on earth and beyond and in eternity are all a gift of God to us, but earned by Jesus Christ for us. But to us who are blessed enough to have them, they are all a gift of God, but only in Christ.
A. What does God mean by in Christ?
1. When God says the words in Christ He means simply that these things are attainable on in Jesus Christ.
2. God said in Colossians 3:11 “Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.” This means that everything starts and ends with Him, and in Christ is everything we need for all eternity.
3. Jesus said of Himself in John 15:5 “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”
4. God said we are complete in Christ. Colossians 2:9 - 10 "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily...And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:"
5. Salvation is complete in Christ. John 3:35-36 "The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand…He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."
B. All things are finished in Christ.
1. Notice God said in out text, “…who hath blessed us…” this means The work is already done. God’s grace is not the result of our believing, but the cause. God’s grace to us is not the result of our being in Christ, but the cause!
2. When Christ said in his last breath on the cross “…It is finished…” John 19:30 he meant it is complete in me. From salvation to all spiritual blessings.
3. 2 Timothy 1:9-10 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began...But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:"
4. 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
5. 2 Corinthians 2:14 "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place." That is to have victory.
C. In Christ we have redemption. Romans 3:24 "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"
1. In Christ we are saved from the wrath to come. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”
2. In Christ we are accepted. Ephesians 1:6 - 7 "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved...In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"
3. In Christ we will all sing new songs. Revelation 5:9 “And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;”
Folks everything is in Christ. We are nothing but worthless worms digging in the filth of the dirt without Christ. It is only in Christ that we have anything. And in him we have everything.